Float Your Boat – At Your Desk!
Navasana (Boat Pose)
This is one of those poses that most people don’t look forward to doing, but it is jam-packed with benefits. It’s like the brussels sprouts of yoga. Personally, I love brussels sprouts and boat pose, but I know that they aren’t everyone’s favorites.
Here are some of the reasons to practice this pose:
- Build heat in your abdomen, which will warm your whole body on a cool autumn day.
- Strengthen your hip, thigh and abdominal muscles.
- Develop focus and concentration
- Improve balance and coordination
- Improve digestion
- Stimulate the kidney, thyroid and prostate glands.
So, take a short yoga-break in your work day and practice navasana! Here’s what to do:
- Start by sitting tall and a little bit forward in your chair.
- Hold on to the sides of your chair for support.
- Lean back slightly as you lift your feet off of the floor, possibly bringing your calves parallel to the floor.
- If you are ready for more of a challenge, release your hands from the sides of the chair and extend your arms forward towards your feet.
- Remember to keep your spine long and shoulders relaxed.
- Hold for a 5 breaths.
- Gently lower your feet back to the ground.